Sunday, May 19, 2013

The New MySpace :: How to Become a "Top Fan"

Become a Top Fan in Five Minutes or Less

I never used the "Old" MySpace, so I can't really compare, but I think the New MySpace is pretty cool. I have always been a music fan and I like the look and feel of it - and I am definitely into social media, so the ability to connect with people that like the same music as me is fun.
In a nutshell, people that are connected to you can see what artists, albums, photos, songs, etc. that you are connected to and can then connect as well. The New MySpace also has a "Top Fans" feature. Still in Beta, Top Fans are "people who have interacted the most with an artist and their content."

Being a "Top Fan" will eventually (supposedly) give you access to exclusive content from the artist (tickets? autographs?)... so imagine my excitement when I realized I was one of the Top 10 fans for Metallica - possibly my all time favorite band! I bet I started listening to their songs twice as much - and then I was #2.

As silly as it may seem for a 44 year old, I was very excited and proud of my "accomplishment"... 

Become a Top Fan of Your Favorite Artist (or any artist) on the New MySpace... in 3 steps and in less than 5 minutes

I checked my rank on some of my other favorites... and discovered that I was in the top of quite a few. I do tend to be a little OCD and listen to the same bands a lot, so I guess that isn't TOO surprising... but it did make me curious about just how easy it might be to become a top fan of other artists. To get to the point, I figured out (I believe I am the first, or at least the first to write about it) that actually playing or listening to the music has very little or nothing to do with how a "Top Fan" is calculated on the New MySpace.

I am writing this in order to tell others how they can get to the top of the Top Fans list for their favorite artist in the hopes that once the "secret" is out, it will get corrected so we can truly see an artists' Top Fans, rather than who is good at the social media game. Think about it - as soon as there are rewards involved, it will just become another social media numbers game of who can connect the fastest.

Step #1 :: Connect to the Artist

This was probably my "actual" rank because I like Eminem and had connected with several songs and added them to my playlist. I even have him listed as one of my "Top 8" and often use "Not Afraid" as "My" Song.

Visit the artist's page on the New MySpace. Connect to them if not already by clicking the circles on the photo. Click Top Fans to see your rank. 

Step #2 :: Connecting to their Music, Photos, Videos

Start to connect with their music, photos and videos and watch yourself climb up in rank. Don't just connect with the albums, songs, etc. that you like... connect to ALL of it. Depending upon how many songs they have, you may need to do this in a few sessions as there is a limit to how many you can connect to at once, but I was able to move from #42 to #20 in one session - in about 5 minutes.
    
At this point, I am fully connected to every album, song, photo and video and have made it to Eminem's Top Fan #6. I have shared some songs, commented on a few photos, listened to more songs, etc. but that doesn't seem to make a difference... So what is the secret sauce? 

Step #3 :: Connect to the Fans.

Once I connected to about the first 50, I moved up to #4 (slipped back to 5 sat the time of writing this). After connecting to another 150 with no movement, I believe it's a numbers game. "StichRulez" is in position #3 and connects to a couple hundred people each day.

Speaking of StichRulz...
THIS guy clearly DOES have real fans!!!


If you need help with your social media profiles, give me a call at (856) 769-5600 - and be sure to connect with me on the New MySpace: https://new.myspace.com/christine.degraff

No comments:

Post a Comment